1. Historian: values the "knowing" of a place. As a relatively new faculty member I find myself listening carefully as the history behind processes and programs reveals themselves. As the workforce becomes more transient I think the individuals with history will take on a new role for leaders. Transient workforces might create a less imprinted history and possibly make change less problematic than it is for organizations with deeply engrained historical roots.
2. Anthropological sleuth: uncovers the norms and values of the organization's culture. Getting to know the way they do things. This ties into the historian role I think.
3. Visionary: works with others to develop a meaningful and constantly evolving vision. I think this speaks to earlier discussions we have had about leaders staying in touch with their folllowship and keeping the values of the organization at the forefront. Always working towards making the organization better, not seeking personal glory.
4. Symbol: I see this as modeling the behavior you want to see in others. I do it with my nursing students. The leader's behavior and image must be congruent with the organization.
5. Potter: I see this as developing new symbols through traditions, rituals, etc. Often it is new blood who can creatively infuse new traditions. For example it was the new facutly members at the School of Nursing who successfully got a White Coat Ceremony started for new nursing students. I suspect that over the coming years this will develop into something very important to students and faculty alike.
6. Poet: uses language to reinforce image. I believe that successful and motivating leaders must be articulate and moving speakers. Their actions and words must also be congruent!
7. Actor: improvise in the never ending organization dramas. How true! Where there are people, there will be drama. A leader has to be able to navigate through it and not get caught up in it.
8. Healer: oversees and helps the organization through transitions and change. Conflict resolution is a must in this area. I personally think it is mandatory that leaders face and eliminate toxic followers...I have seen good people move on because troublemakers were not dealt with. What a loss.
Well that is my two cents...I do beleive that these qualities can create positive and transforming work environments that are productive.
Friday, October 23, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Catherine –
ReplyDeleteI agree with the ties between the historian and anthropological sleuth roles. As I read these two roles I initially wondered the difference between the two. I also decided the difference between them was the anthropological sleuth role had to do with determining the culture of the organization. The not seeking personal glory of the visionary role is important to me. Too many leaders use the word “I” instead of “we” all too often. Rather than diverting accomplishments to themselves they need to attribute accomplishments to their followers and let the followers provide the “glory” to the leader through their respect and work ethic supporting the leader’s vision. I also see healer and actor tied together. It’s how you deal with the drama and how you heal the hurt caused by the drama that can make a good leader s great one.
Ed
Catherine, I like the way you described each role. Your sythesis on how the roles are interconnected were similar to mine, and reading Ed's comment probably others as well. Ed, I like your thinking about the 8 symbolic roles and the Level 5 leader. I think organizations should be more team oriented and the team celebrate their victories and learn from their failures.
ReplyDeleteCatherine, it's interesting that you discuss how important it is for a poet's words to match their actions. This is certainly true for all leaders, isn't it?
ReplyDeleteRight now, I'm studying authentic leadership, a concept that discusses the importance of a leader's words matching not only actions, but also, perhaps more importantly, core values. It's intriguing to me that a leader's most effective tool may be their own value system, whatever that may be (within reason, of course).