Tuesday, October 6, 2009
Democratic style
What do you think style. Highly interactive, and probably most likely to bring about support and change if the leader gets the majority to "buy into" a change. The potential downside I see is inertia due to too many opinions (a case of too many indians and no chief). In the end the leader must make decisions, and not everyone will agree that they are the best. I think democratic leaders might be viewed as weak leaders...seen as relying on others too much. This being said, I am probably a mix between the democratic and affirmative leader. I truely value input from others because I know I don't have all the answers. I also really value interpersonal harmony and do not choose to hang around disaggreeable types.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Catherine -
ReplyDeleteI particularly like this style because of the buy-in factor – when solutions are actually arrived at during the process. It can only be used when there is time to accomplish the process. I caveat this style with a few conditions: everyone gets to provide comment and discuss, the boss makes the final decision, and when the process is complete and the decision is made, everyone leaves the table and supports the boss’s decision like it was their own. No going back to the office poisoning the well.