Setting high standards of performance. I was surprised that this was viewed as negative, because I feel I set high stnadards, but I primarily set them for myself and not as much for others. I try to model high performance to get high performance in return, which I think Dr. K was getting at during class tonight as some point in the discussion.
I suppose the negative aspect of this style is referring to the micro-manager. I actually work with someone like this and we get along really well, but I can see why others would not like working with her. She is a perfectionist and oversees things very tightly, and is hyper-critical of everyone who does not perform to her expectations. I think we get along because we compliment each other...she is extremely well organized (me, not so much) but I am very creative and can see multiple ways of doing things (something she values highly). I think if I were as concrete as she is, we would not work well together at all.
Tuesday, October 6, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Catherine -
ReplyDeleteLike someone commented in class Tuesday evening, all this works out well when people know their weaknesses and these gaps are filled by their co-workers.
Ed
Catherine -
ReplyDeleteI admire that although you set high expectations for yourself that you don't necessarily set them for others. I set very high expectations for myself and others and am extremely critical of myself and others. This is sometime that I have really struggled to work on for a really long time. From my perspective, I can see where my criticism could be negative for not only myself, but also those that I am working with.
Meredith
Catherine,
ReplyDeleteI always enjoying listening and reading what you have to say when it comes to the pacesetting sytle I had not looked at the negative side before. I guess a micro-manager would be an example of this. However, I know when high expectations are set you get high results. I wish I would set higher standards for the people with whom I work because I believe then there would be results towards the vision as opposed to just doing the job.
Grace and peace,
Wylie