I enjoyed having no specific topic to address this week, what a nice break. But we've been a critical friend instead.
My personal reflections on leadership this week are few, but I am seeing where a lack of action, or lack of information shared on the part of leadership can be damaging. I am the type of follower that believes that things are happening that I am not made aware of immediately. I have worked with many over the years that perceive the lack of knowing as a sign that nothing is happening about a situation. I therefore think it is important for leaders to act as information conduits. Lack of information lets imaginations run wild and allows rumors to start.
That's all for now...more student advising to do! Yippee!
Monday, November 2, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Catherine-
ReplyDeleteYour comment is so true! Leaders do act as information conduits and some people perceive that when they see or hear nothing happening that nothing is happening. However, one thing I used to tell students or others is not to assume that nothing is happening, but change takes time. You're right though, about rumor mills ... if individuals don't hear updates when needed, that can leave minds run wild and unfortunate rumors to spread, which is difficult.
Catherine -
ReplyDeleteHave you come across one leadership style that seems to address the conveying of information better than others?
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteCatherine, Your point is so true not just within the building but outside as well. More and more education leaders must notify the community and media outlets of all of the initiatives happening in the school. Just as you stated, when people do not hear anything they assume nothing is going on. In this age, the Information Age, there is no excuse for not getting the information out there to those who need it whether its through email, meetings, web sites, television or community forums.
ReplyDeleteHey Catherine,
ReplyDeleteI'm particularly interested in hearing from you about chapter 21. I think that this chapter really speaks to your topic of study. Did that chapter help you rethink the research question?