Now onto relections regarding leadership.
I was struck by the HUMILITY + WILL = LEVEL 5 discussion on the humility aspect of the equation. For example…the author states that Level 5 leaders often attribute their success to “luck”, versus taking credit for successful decisions made. I propose that luck DOES play a significant role. Just being in the right place, at the right time, and making the right decision.
Take for example, Cork Walgreens. I actually remember going to Walgreens as a kid and sitting at the counter getting a Coke or a malted milk. I really enjoyed those outings with my friends...and it was affordable for school girls like us. As a leader, Cork could have easily made the decision to focus the Walgreens brand on the restaurant aspect of the business and it is possible the name would have faded into oblivion. On the other hand, he might have been equally as successful with the restaurants as he was with the pharmacies. Perhaps, the success was in his focusing the company in one direction, and not necessarly restaurant over pharmacy operations. Since hindsight only allows us to look at the one course of action, we can only speculate about other outcomes. There was in fact an element of luck in the success of his company.
Friday, September 18, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Catherine –
ReplyDeleteYou are right; luck does play a significant role in the sequence of events. One thought seems to be missing in the article. As my parents used to say, you make your own luck. Walgreens couldn’t have succeeded in any endeavor, restaurants or the pharmacy business, unless he had the business sense and focus to begin with. With the same focus, Cork could have probably succeeded at just about anything.
Ed
You are a half full kind of guy (me too). I agree. And as my dad used to say, "suit up, show up, and get busy" doesn't hurt either.
ReplyDelete